Kia Ora Paddlers!
I’m sure you’re all keeping a close eye on the weather for the weekend, wondering which board you should use, what to wear, how to stay warm and dry…. Good news is thanks to Gavin (Leashlok) we have a huge Stretch Tent Marquee decked out with palms (plus a few ukuleles and some coconuts), so at least if it’s raining you’ll feel like you’re in a tropical paradise! Trevor Tunnington’s running a surf race skills clinic on Friday evening including advice about gear selection, and my hot tip for you all? Bring a camping shower filled with hot water and a bucket – carboot showers rock.
OK that’s the rain dealt with. Now lets look at the event. Below is a full schedule for Thursday through Sunday, but first…
Important Information for all paddlers.
- The Event Hub will be at Orewa Beach Reserve – to the South side of the Surf Club. All scheduled events will at this location unless advised otherwise. There is parking in the main carpark behind the surf club and in the field between carpark and road.
- All Paddlers entered in the Sunday Technical Races can arrange Race Pack collection before Saturday 24th at 2pm. If you can’t make it and don’t know anyone who can collect on your behalf please contact us.
- Paddlers in the Hoe Ngahau Fun Race or Hoe Marino Flatwater Races on Sunday are able to collect race packs until 2pm Saturday or until 12pm Sunday.
- The Hoe Toa event is BYO Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Drinks. There is a liquor ban in force on the beach, and after 10pm on the Orewa Beach Reserve. Please drink responsibly and take home all your empties.
- If you have pre-purchased dinner tickets for Saturday or Sunday you will be given VIP Foodtruck vouchers to the value of $30 Adult and $15 Child. You can redeem these at any of our foodtrucks throughout the event: Lime Juice Bar smoothies and cold-pressed juices, Earthspot Organic Coffee, Breakfast and Lunch, Mama Yoya’s Mexican Street Food Lunch and Dinner Saturday and Bite Me Creative Culinary lunch Sunday and dinner Saturday and Sunday.
- There will be 100 Hoe Toa Limited Edition T-shirts by Strongarm for sale at the event for $35. And hats for $30.
- Preliminary Results will be published on the Official Noticeboard at the event, and all official results will be available online here after finals each day.
- Trev’s Surf Race Skills Clinic 5.30-6.30pm
- Welcome Luau and Race Pack Pick Up 6pm-8pm
- Karakia (Maori Blessing) & Event Opening 7pm
10am-12pm Hoe Marino Flatwater Late Registration and Gear Check
11am-1pm Hoe Poto and Hoe Tawhiti Magrette Distance Race Gear Check (Location TBA)
1pm Hoe Marino Flatwater Races Start
2pm Magrette Distance Race Briefings (location will be confirmed on Saturday)
2.15pm Race Start
2.30pm Hoe Poto Race Start
5pm Live DJ Tunes & Mexican Street Food (BYO Chillybin!)
4.55pm Live Auction – Ocean Culture Art in Surf Board + Supshed Go Foil
6.30-9.30pm Foodtrucks and Live DJ Tunes on the Dancefloor
All paddlers in the 8-10km and 16-20km Magrette Distance Races are required to have: Leash, PFD, Flare and Whistle. You can purchase these from Supshed at registration.
8am-8.30am Gear Check + Earthspot Organic Coffee & Food
8.30am Compulsory Competitor Briefing
9.10am Race Start Molly Woppy 2.5km Technical
10am Saxe Coburg 4km Technical Womens Heat 1
10.30am-12pm Orewa Estuary Cleanup
10.40am Mens Heat 1
11.20am Womens Heat 2
12pm Mens Heat 2
1pm Hoe Ngahau Fun Race Briefing
1.20pm Hoe Ngahau Fun Race
2pm Saxe Coburg 4km Technical Briefing
2.30pm Womens Finals
3.15pm Mens Finals
4.00pm Flo Yo Sunset SUP Yoga workshop (Hatfields Beach) 6-7pm
4.30pm Teams Relay Briefing
4.40pm Teams Relay
5pm Lee Gray Live on the Dunes + Bite Me Creative Culinary Food Truck
6.45pm Live Auction Proscape Palm and Starboard Astro Racer
7pm-8.30pm Dancefloor with Lee Gray
All competitors must be present for event briefing. All competitors must pass through gear check on the way to the Start Line, and have their race number marked on hand. ALL U13 PADDLERS MUST WEAR A PFD. Leashes are compulsory.
For updates please check our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/nzsupchamps
Any questions: CONTACT EVENT ORGANISER Victoria Stuart PH 021 644 129
- Registration for Saturday Long Distance closes Friday 8pm.
- Registration for Sunday Technical Events closes at 12pm Saturday.
- Registration forand Hoe Ngahau Fun Race, Teams Relay (Sunday), Hoe Marino Flatwater 2.5km and 5km Races (Sunday) closes at 12pm Sunday.